Friday, June 21, 2002

Where have you gone, Andy Warhol?

I first discovered the phenomenon known as "blogging" (that is, the online publishing of "blogs," or weblogs), this past spring, while reading a news site called spintech: a critique of state and culture. Scrolling to the bottom, there it was -- relapsed catholic, described therein as "Catholic crackshot." A kindred spirit, I thought. So I hit the link, and there she was -- the High Priestess of Catholic Blogdom herself, Ms Kathy Shaidle.

My discovery has led me to others -- to Emily Stimpson, whose cheeky irreverence gives way to a talent for making very complicated matters very plain; to Mark Shea, who has the good sense not to take himself nearly as seriously as that which would espouse (or, as he told Vatican Radio, "I'm not writing for the ages on my blog site. I'm not handing down wisdom from Sinai here..."); and of course, to Pete Vere, my favorite Canadian and favorite canon lawyer (that is, a practitioner of ecclesiastical law -- you know, a guy who helps people with annulments. It's a Catholic thing.).

There are many others who have been good enough to correspond with me in recent weeks. They are not mentioned with this entry, but they will be in good time. All have been devoted to matters of their Catholic faith, as it relates to the world around them. All have asked me at the end of our discussions, when are you going to launch your own blog? Soon, I would tell them. Soon.

To that end, I have asked myself, what of life outside the sanctuary door?

In his book The Catholic Milieu, Thomas Storck writes:

"Our entire daily lives cannot be occupied with purely religious practices; all of us have to eat, and most of us have and want to do many other activities besides. So though we cannot always be religious in this sense, we can always be Catholic, that is, the round of our daily activities can be conducted in such a way as to express and be in harmony with our Faith. And [this] can involve more than avoiding sin and exercising virtue..."

Deo gratias.

Thus it would seem, that the way in which I was raised was ultimately more than a religion, in terms of pious practices and trying not to have too much fun. It is, rather, what the Greeks called a phronema -- that is, a "mind set," or a "way of looking at things." In the meantime, my circle of friends I see on the weekends, believe I am this deeply spiritual person. Then there are my devout Catholic friends, who are no doubt convinced I am just another irreverent and over-aged party animal.

Maybe both?

This experience we call "blogging" has expanded among those who are Catholic, particularly in light of the recent scandals. I certainly have an opinion about those developments. By now I am not alone, and I fear that I have joined the discussion too late to be a leader among the others. So this endeavor shall be a search for a proper niche among the would-be pundits, who pervade cyberspace in increasing numbers.

I shall try to reach people where they are, from the place where I am. This will be my open journal, for stepping into the world with my thoughts, as those in the world knock at the door that is electronic mail.

Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom, pray for me.

Laissez les bon temps roulez!