Tuesday, January 21, 2003

Lambs

Today, the Roman church commemorates Saint Agnes, virgin and martyr. Her name is from the Latin word agnus, which means "lamb." She is also the patroness of my home parish.

There can also be found a collection of lambs (with a few llamas thrown in for good measure), depicted on the weblog Notes From a Hillside Farm, authored by an practicing attorney and gentleman farmer from Warren County VA by the name of John Bell. An Orthodox Christian, John weaves his spirituality with the life in the midst of the Blue Ridge. His pictures from Glenrose Farm are so very inviting, I've half a mind to pay the fellow a visit out of the blue one day, if he would oblige me. Since I spent a few summers on my Grandpa's and Uncle Bernard's farms, I'm not above pitching in when the occasion arises.

Yesterday was Martin Luther King Day (or Lee-Jackson Day, for some of those who make Virginia their home). I went out to the movie Chicago. I am told the Broadway production was a big hit. The movie version seems to be no less well received. While certainly not suitable fare for young children, it was quite a show. I went with a friend I hadn't seen in awhile. We got caught up on our lives, visited antique stores, I helped her take down her Christmas tree, and we sat by the fire and talked of the year ahead.

I have some plans to travel. My sister Pat has set the date for her wedding, at her new parish near Cincinnati -- Saturday, the 17th of May, in the mid-afternoon. Before that I hope to visit Toronto. During the summer I want to go to Seattle again, this time with my son Paul.

I came up with a title for my book of essays, tentatively set for publication in '04 or '05. The cover will show me tipping my black hat, just enough to show whatever is lacking underneath. The title itself will be... "Nothing to Hide."

Well, whaddaya think?

No comments: