Friday, February 28, 2003

Tomorrow and beyond...

Tomorrow -- the first of March, 2003 -- is the 200th birthday of my native Ohio, the Buckeye State, the 17th to be added to the Union. On that day, there will be a parade in the city of Chillicothe, which was the original capital of the state, before moving briefly to Zanesville, back to Chillicothe, and finally up the road north to Columbus. I'm hoping to visit my home state once or twice this year, maybe catch a glimse of the outdoor drama Tecumseh! Perhaps I'll even take my son Paul to the site of the Hopewell Indian Nation, where thirty years ago, his mother participated in archeological digs as an anthropology major at Ohio State.

Regrettably, I'll miss the Governor's Ball.

Meanwhile, the celebration of Mardi Gras (the French term for "Fat Tuesday," or the day before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent) begins this weekend -- in Louisiana, and elsewhere, including this area. I'll be making appearances in Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, in that order.

No comments: