Friday, March 14, 2003

"Beware the Ides of March!"

-- the Soothsayer, from Act 1, Scene 2, of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar

"Spring is here. Why doesn't my heart go dancing?"

-- Lorenz Hart, American songwriter (1895-1943)

"Surely spring will allow
a girl without a stitch on
to turn softly in her sunlight
and not be afraid of her bed."


-- Anne Sexton, American poet (1928-74)

I was on the phone the other day with one of the sisters of the Anglican abbey near Baltimore where I have been known to make pilgrimage. While thankful for the four seasons, and sure of God's purpose in providing them, she nonetheless confessed that spring always made her feel depressed. I had to admit to a similar condition when I was in college. There I was, hard at work on my studio projects, while others were out throwing frisbees and basking in the sun, or in a new-found love.

Spring is a sign of hope for us. The earth rises from darkness, brown turns to green, as prelude to the rising from the dead of the Son of its Creator. We know from the leaves that fell not six months before, that things must die so they may live again.

For me, it seems the Ashes of Wednesday did not dampen my activity, as I am busier than ever. I've spent the week lining up opportunities to sit in with the zydeco bands that are touring the area from down Louisiana way -- not only for me, but for my son Paul, who is coming along as a fine blues harp player in his own right. Meanwhile, there is a transition in my social arena. I've found myself out-growing some of the "high school" shenanigans of some people I meet on the dance floor. So, that settled it for me. I'm giving up "high school" for Lent. It hasn't been easy though. When you're around this nonsense long enough, it rubs off on you.

About once a month, I go up to Philadelphia, so I can be around grown-ups for a change. That's where we'll be tonight, me and the boy. He's taking his act on the road, with Roy Carrier, the same band he was with on the 1st of this month. Grandma said to take my camera.

Saturday night I give a dance demonstration in Leesburg. Stay tuned...

"He is a dreamer. Let us leave him. Pass."

-- Julius Caesar, responding to the aforementioned prophecy

No comments: