Monday, October 25, 2004

You know you're living a pretty full life...

...when you're too busy to write about it. I got through my first test in college since I last went to college. It was a short test; I didn't get the answer right, but I'll get a partial for trying. But it had me up late, either studying, or just fretting. In fact, I was so relieved the test was over that I plumb forgot all about something to be turned in over the weekend. There's one point toward the total grade I missed. Think I'll turn it in anyway.

In fact, I've been so busy, I haven't even expressed my delight that somebody finally humbled the New York Yankees, and that that somebody was finally the Boston Red Sox. The infamous "Curse of the Bambino" is finally lifted. Bettnet.com and the Irish Elk offer commentary. And then some. Babe Ruth, rest in peace, amen.

I went to my first Boy Scout campout as an adult this weekend. I was only there for Friday night and Saturday morning, but it was great to see the kids doing the stuff I used to do. I got fed, slept in my car with the passenger seat all the way back, which makes for decent accomodations. One thing has changed since I was a kid though. They corrected one of the boys for walking through the field at night alone. They're on a mandatory buddy system at outings. One of them might trip and fall in a hole and wouldn't be found unti the next day.

This is what happens when lawyers take over.

On Sunday, I attended my first Eagle Court of Honor as an adult. Didn't know the kid from Adam, but he was part of my jurisdiction as a Commissioner, so I paid my respects.

The night before, "Sal" and I stayed home and watched a video -- the film "Little Women" starring Winona Ryder. I wanted to introduce this daughter of the Philippines to a classic of American literature. It reminded her of her three girls back home. Good choice, Dave.

I learned that Cardinal Hickey died yesterday. He was Archbishop of Washington from 1980 to 2000. I only met him once, in 1990, when I ran into my old friend, Archbishop Pilarczyk of Cincinnati, whom I hadn't seen since I was a kid. Hickey was with him, and was patient as I reminisced with his guest.

Today was mostly spent preparing for class on Wednesday. I did my "splash page" for my website assignment. It's pretty nifty, if I do say so myself. I'll be sure and post it when it goes online, so all my fans (both of you, ideally) get a chance to cast your vote.

And speaking of casting votes, Archbishop Chaput of Denver recently did an essay on the subject of voting with one's faith. It's one of the most sensible pieces on the subject I've read so far this year:

"That saying comes to mind as the election approaches and I hear more lectures about how Roman Catholics must not 'impose their beliefs on society' or warnings about the need for 'the separation of church and state.' These are two of the emptiest slogans in current American politics...

"Lawmaking inevitably involves some group imposing its beliefs on the rest of us. That's the nature of the democratic process. If we say that we 'ought' to do something, we are making a moral judgment. When our legislators turn that judgment into law, somebody's ought becomes a 'must' for the whole of society. This is not inherently dangerous; it's how pluralism works..."


Somebody call Phil Donahue.

Meanwhle, I'm awaiting inspiration. Stay tuned...

No comments: