Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Dias de los Muertos

In Spanish-speaking areas around the world -- from Mexico City to Metro Manila -- yesterday as the Feast of All Saints, and today as the Feast of All Souls, are known collectively as "Days of the Dead." It invariably involves having picnics in a cemetery, near the remains of one's ancestors. Our own revelry with children dressed as witches and goblins, would pale next to day-long parades in Mexico, of men dressed as skeletons.

Every now and then I hear somebody chide parents for encouraging some occult-based New Age phenomenon. I don't remember such a connection when I was a boy. That tells me it came along later, and even then only because enough people decided to give it the attention for which it clamored.

Then again, that's just me.

No comments: