Thursday, August 03, 2006

"So fill to me the parting glass..."

Beyond the matter of fake ordinations, Ambrose-a-rama talks about the real tragedy coming out of western Pennsylvania. This, from the Post-Gazette:

"Rolling Rock, brewed by that name in Latrobe since 1939, officially closed its plant yesterday... Anheuser-Busch purchased the Rolling Rock brand for $82 million, promising the same formula but moving the production to New Jersey. Bottling in Newark will begin today..."

No offense, Newark, but it won't be the same. But at least now we know where the "33" came from.

3 comments:

Dave said...

I don't think I'll be buying it ever again...

Anonymous said...

I don't think I will either. I remember sitting with my late father in law in his basement where he had a keggerator loaded with rolling rock.

We used to drink it out of these glasses that looked like mason jars with handles.

It was one of my favorite beers. I'll miss it.

Der Tommissar said...

Ok, seriously, the stuff was made with "the crystal waters of Latrobe, Pa."

Have any of you ever been to Latrobe?