Thursday, August 31, 2006

"What's the worst that could happen?"

I heard some disturbing news yesterday, and was moved to make contact via e-mail with the following:

Dear Father X:

We've never met, and I'm nobody important.

It was through the weblog entitled "The Dawn Patrol," authored by one Dawn Eden, that I learned of your resignation from the priesthood. Obviously I'm not in a position to know all the facts, but I know what I read in the papers, and I know you got the short end of the stick. This is not a reason to quit, but when it's one damn thing after another, it's hard not to. I don't know what your plans are, but I'm betting it's possible you might feel like gettin' out of town, maybe coming to a place like Washington DC to catch a show or look up friends or something. If you do, please give me a chance to put you up for one night in a hotel, buy you dinner, and try to talk you out of this.

What's the worst that could happen? You know where to find me.

DLA (XXX.XXX.XXXX)


You suppose he might think I'm serious?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think he'd think you're serious.

Check your e-mail.

Carrie said...

I hope he thinks you're serious.

Anonymous said...

I think I read that too. Very sad.

Anonymous said...

If he accepts you could suggest that he look into Sioux Fall, SD which has a new and quite surprising bishop who has lots of life experience before becoming a priest.....