Friday, September 07, 2007

Craig's Lisp

Everyone's been talking about Senator Craig lately, after his supposedly soliciting for gay sex in a Minneapolis public restroom by tapping his foot while in the stall (something I'll be careful not to attempt when I'm on the road from now on), only to be caught in the act by an undercover police officer. Like I said, I was going to write about it, but...

Now, I firmly believe sodomy to be an abomination, an act against nature. If you consider the clinical description of the act, you don't have to ask how I reach such a politically incorrect conclusion. "Actor and commentator Ben Stein strongly defended Larry Craig on Friday's 'Your World with Neil Cavuto'..." which saves me the trouble. Especially since I haven't decided whether I want to.

But I have decided that there is a larger picture here, and as Jerry Bowyer of TCS Daily writes, both Jesus Christ and William Shakespeare manage to back me up on this. For once, I'm in good company:

Renaissance era Vienna was a moral cesspool. Brothels were everywhere, marriage was disappearing and the resultant army of unfathered children created a crime wave... This story is told to us by William Shakespeare... It's title Measure for Measure is taken from Jesus' Sermon on the Mount... The point is simple: you will be judged by the standards you apply to others. This verse is as frequently misunderstood by liberal as by conservative commentators... Shakespeare got what so many commentators missed: Jesus as pundit, wisely (and it turns out accurately) predicting the implosion of the two great political parties of His day. The same holds true for us.

So, is Larry Craig gay? Did he solicit for a good time in a men's room? I don't know. And after watching the usual bunch of talking heads yammering about it in the past week, I don't care. What I care about, is that the biggest difference between him, and his confreres who would hand him over, is that he got caught. Our own need for redemption, and for appeal to the Divine Mercy with our dying breath, implies a similar reminder.

The same holds true for us.
.

No comments: