Monday, August 11, 2008

Homeschool Moms, Eat Your Hearts Out

The Daily Mail has found three "housewives" (no, I don't think they'd mind being called that) who have eschewed a 21st century lifestyle for living as if from another era.

"Most of us just grumble, but some women have taken radical action to escape what they see as the soulless grind of modern life. Meet the 'Time Warp Wives', who believe that life, especially marriage, was far more straightforward..."

...and, from here, each of them even has a favorite decade picked out -- one from the 1950s, one from the 1940s, and one from the 1930s. One is married to a graphics application designer. Another one "spends hours on the internet sourcing items for her 1930s lifestyle."

Am I the only one who sees the irony in that?
.

3 comments:

Histor said...

"I admit I am in retreat from the 21st century. When I look at the reality of the world today, with all the violence, greed and materialism, I shudder. I don't want to live in that world."

Sounds like something one of those old-timey hipsters would say... back in the '50s.

Histor

Tom S. said...

I see lots of irony, yes. Especially the one statement that the love of the '50's is her motivation for not having children! I have three girls (6,3,& 2) and I worry about the influence of this hellish world on them every day, but that's no reason to choose extinction, is it?

That said, I can kind of see their point. I often wish I could time-warp back a few decades, as well. And I know my wife would, if we could afford it, that is!

David L Alexander said...

"My despair at the modern world is one of the reasons why we haven't had children.

"I would be terrified they would be offered drugs, or become the victims of violence."


So, what we have here, is not so much running toward something, as it is running AWAY from something. That's just living in a dream world. You could pick any old decade for that.