Friday, August 29, 2008

Road Trip?

Earlier this month, we went to Berlin. No, not that one. The one in New Jersey.

There's a very famous parish there called Mater Ecclesiae. Well, it's famous if you're into the Traditional Latin Mass. Once an independent chapel, they were eventually reconciled with Rome, canonically established eight years ago, and the rest is history.

Sal and I went up there to see an old friend of mine, a former Carmelite novice whom I met back in the mid-90s, when I had the ill fortune of moonlighting for a magazine devoted to apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary. At least two of the "visionaries" we touted have since fallen under the scrutiny of the law (including a guy on the lam for real estate scams), but that's another story. Anyway, I hadn't seen "Sister Donna" in ten or twelve years. She got to meet Sal for the first time. Naturally she approved. It was a great reunion. Sister used her connections to get me a good seat in church; all I had to do was wear a cassock and surplice and carry the crucifix in. Then we all went over to IHOP afterwards for more yakkity-yak. Then we took this picture. I'm on the right.

It was my first Sunday away from St John the Beloved since we started the Traditional Mass last October. If I make a habit of it, they'll think they can get along without me. I simply won't stand for that. That's why Labor Day weekend was only going to be a day trip. Sal has been after me to take her to Colonial Williamsburg all year. This Saturday would have been her big chance to experience America as it was in the early Colonial era. Something came up, though, and now she's gotta stay in town. So I guess it's the old "dinner and a movie" standby, eh?

And I just know what movie it's gonna be. Wish me luck.
.

No comments: