Thursday, November 06, 2008

Still Crazy After All This Year

Last Tuesday evening, I could not bear to watch the news channels. I don't think they should say squat until ALL the votes are in. There's simply too much risk of influencing a large part of the country with the results of some podunk town in New Hampshire.

So I went out to look for a party. The Republicans of Arlington County were supposed to have a bash at the Holiday Inn. So I get there, right? The desk clerk hands me a flyer with the new location of the soiree. "They needed a bigger room," he said. Well, the new location was a sports bar down the street. That's a "bigger room," huh? What a crock! I know this town. There aren't enough Republicans in this county for a "bigger room." That's why the entire County Board of Supervisors is composed of Democrats. Besides, there are only a few bars I really like, and this one wasn't one of them. I bet they didn't even reserve a room in the back. So, to hell with it, I told myself, and drove back home.

Then I had two hard ciders ("An apple a day...") and went to bed.

Today I left my office at midday to run an errand. On the elevator, I met a black woman in her forties, wearing an Obama campaign button. I could have brought to her attention, as a courtesy, that the wearing of partisan political paraphernalia by a Federal employee in the Federal workplace was a violation of the Hatch Act. She probably would have misinterpreted the remark. Who am I to bring this to her attention? Indeed, who do I have to be. Then again, perhaps she was merely jubilant for herself and other people of color, that the terrible stories she used to hear at her grandmother's knee, about growing up in the South, would never come back to haunt an American again.

As this is written, the Research Department here at mwbh is hard at work, combing the blogosphere, downloading the most clever of video clips, all for your illumination and viewing pleasure. Tomorrow (or the next day, if I'm up to it), we will feature what went wrong with the "Grand Old Party," why "the other guy" succeeded, who doesn't have the right to call themselves "journalists" from this day on, and what certain people will have to do for 2010 and 2012, if they ever wish to be taken seriously again. By anybody. Even Fox News.

Stay tuned, and stay in touch.
.

No comments: