Wednesday, May 13, 2009

One Minute Theatre: Space Paintings

When I was a teenager, I watched a segment of CBS’ 60 Minutes, where they showed how paintings that hang in hotel rooms were made. You know the ones I’m talking about, the ones that sell real cheap at liquidation sales and the like. A company will hire a bunch of art students and assign each one along a row of blank canvases, with one “original” composition as a guide. The artist will then go from one canvas to the next, duplicating the original a few brush-strokes at a time, until they all look more or less like the original. You have to see it to believe it.

Hey, it’s a living, right?

I remembered that story when I saw the clip featured for this week’s One Minute Theatre. To see more of this guy’s work, go to www.spacepaintings.com/spraypaintart.html. He even has instructional DVDs to show you how to make your own creations.

I can just see it now. I could be supplementing my retirement income at flea markets throughout the Midwest, completely edging out the demand for black velvet Elvis paintings.

A man can dream, can’t he?
.

No comments: