Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Comings and Goings

I'll admit it. My publishing schedule has been uneven of late. And just when my weekly readership stats are nearly double the usual average. Makes you wonder whether I simply enjoy being ironic.

Sal left last Friday for the Philippines to visit her family. The visit will run six weeks, more than a week longer than originally scheduled. There's a long story behind that. It's also a boring story. But it means I'm faced with the prospect of going to a wedding alone. Now, there are two things I don't go to alone anymore; weddings, and funerals. Maybe it's just me, but both events have the capacity to bring out the worst in people, and I never see it coming until I'm in the middle of it. But the groom is Paul's cousin, and he's even buying his first suit for this occasion, so he's trying to talk me into it. The jury's still out.

Still, without her coming around, the house is a little too quiet.

I'm very busy with school. I have a project that will determine whether I end up graduating in the spring, or bringing the whole idea to an unceremonious end. It's only a diploma program, and completing it matters less for career purposes, than gaining what the Feds call the KSAs, or "Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities." Click here and find out what happens in the next two weeks.

I manage to keep up with the news, or some of it anyway. Today the President spoke to schoolchildren, and the thought of it raised quite a ruckus with some people. He's finding out that being President is a lot more complicated than being a community organizer. You can't just hang with anybody you want and not have it bite you in the ass later. Still, for all the talk about it being unconstitutional and what-not, there's little that is earth-shattering about any President of the United States speaking to the Nation's schoolchildren. I read the advance transcript yesterday. It could have been worse.

Oh, and he does manage to dispense a warning about things in your youth coming back to haunt you later. Who better to know, eh?
.

No comments: