Friday, November 20, 2009

“I was so much older then ...”

Deal Hudson, the man who pulled Crisis magazine out from under, only for it to evolve into InsideCatholic.com, turns sixty years old today. It was heralded by an epiphany the day before.

"Chippy, you know we are not always going to be together like this. It's a beautiful autumn day, and we're in the backyard of our home and the leaves are falling, just look around. We won't always be able to work together like this, father and son."

The last time I experienced a major life change, was somewhere between mid-2003 and mid-2004. I can feel another one coming on, which might have to do with turning fifty-five at the end of the year. On that day, I'm going to IHOP, where I can finally get a senior discount. I'm having a steak-and-egg breakfast. That's probably not nearly as interesting as today's feature.

Maybe that's why epiphanies always surprise us. They happen while we're making other plans.
.

No comments: