Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Miss me yet?

“Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum! Habemus Papam!” (“I announce to you a great joy! We have a pope!”)

I didn't follow a lot of news while I was out, but it had come to my attention before leaving town over the weekend, that five years ago yesterday, the honorary clergy of the Diocese of Rome (that is, the College of Cardinals) elected one from among their number to be Bishop of Rome.* By virtue of that election, this bishop also became Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of Vatican City, (and most important), Servus Servorum Dei -- Servant of the Servants of God.

Personally, I was pleasantly surprised by the appointment. The man once known as Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger wanted nothing more than to retire to Bavaria, where he could continue writing and lecturing. Not a bad life. Then again, his colleagues (and possibly the Holy Spirit), had other ideas.

We could do worse.

* Technically, this is what actually happens. The rest is just part of the package.
.

No comments: