Thursday, May 06, 2010

Dude, leggo my LEGOs!

I got my first set of LEGO building blocks on Christmas Day in 1968. I was in the eighth grade.

It was what I wanted, but that didn't mean I had to brag about it. I had no regrets. I kept LEGOs around at my place when Paul came to visit. When I lived in Georgetown and worked as a sacristan, the back area of the sacristy was often his playground for a vivid imagination. He got another set just a couple of years ago.

Paul will be twenty-five in October. He has no regrets either.

The LEGO system of building blocks has come a long way since 1932, when a carpenter from Billund, Denmark named Ole Kirk Christiansen began making wooden toys. By 1949, his system of "automatic binding bricks" was born. And while various accessories bundled with the sets have become more sophisticated, bricks made from 1958 on (the year in which their specifications were staandardized) will still work with those manufactured in 2010.

The imagination still takes over.

(H/T to Allahpundit of Hot Air.)
.

No comments: