Saturday, June 05, 2010

“Do you want fries with your McGBLT?”

I don't know what possessed him, but the President decided to “... by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2010 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. I call upon all Americans to observe this month by fighting prejudice and discrimination in their own lives and everywhere it exists.” Most Federal agencies headquartered in Washington can't resist the urge to have some program in their auditorium or assembly hall, devoted to whatever it is that's honored that month. People in my line of work might be responsible for posters in the main lobby advertising the event, a schedule or brochure for said event, the video covering the event embedded on the intranet site ... do you see where I'm going with this?

Father Zuhlsdorf went on a rant about the whole she-bang, and rightfully so. All the “Z-Bots” who think he walks on water will marvel at his courage in saying things like ...

President Obama has asked all Americans -- I am not making this up -– to observe this month. If you’re an American, this means POTUS is asking you, by means of a proclamation ... I think I will turn the combox off, for I have little doubt that this post will simply create flames [Did he say “flames”?] and draw out the deeply creepy as well as those who can’t self-edit.

Not that I blame him -- some of the regulars in his combox get a little crazy, making it difficult for those of us who actually DO know what we're talking about -- but he should try talking like that while on the Federal payroll lately.

Given the possibility that a moral dilemma may present itself, I consulted a parish priest, who in turn received the following from a moral theologian:

Well, this is material cooperation and I think if the person works on the project directly, it is more than remote cooperation. I think that they should start by saying, if and when they are asked to do the work, that they would request another assignment.

He doesn't say what to do if the request isn't granted.

Fortunately, such a possibility is remote. My position allows me to be a bit discriminating in my assignments. It also helps that I have colleagues whose outlook on this diverges from my own. I can work with damn near anybody, and some of us at my duty station have worked together for so long, that we know what to leave alone. The sexual proclivities of anyone with whom I work has never been an issue for me. Promoting conduct that violates the laws of nature is another matter.

I'll be sure to mention that if the communications director ever calls me on the carpet, after I remind him that he was appointed by the most pro-union administration since that of FDR.

(H/T to Jamie Gumm for the title. Content advisory in second video; single instance of language.)
.

2 comments:

Gail F said...

Didn't Obama make June "GLBT Pride Month" last year, too?

David L Alexander said...

Probably, but much of the political leadership in various agencies wasn't in place yet. I just want to do my job and leave the parading of social experiments to someone with more time on their hands.