Monday, July 12, 2010

“Sir, will that be paper or plastic?”

Don't be surprised if the question isn't loaded.

On Interstate 70, east of Columbus, is an exit for the town of Cambridge, Ohio. There, at the Cracker Barrel restaurant, you can sit down to a decent meal, and watch the fastest busboy in the Buckeye State. I can't remember his name, but he's been the subject of local newspapers and television stations.

We've heard it before; if you work as a ditch-digger, quit complaining and be the best ditch-digger you can be. To take pride in one's work, to make an adventure out of what seems unadventurous at its core, is [WARNING: CLICHÉ ALERT!] a triumph of the human spirit. [END WARNING] I suppose that, had my high-school experience as a cashier/stock clerk for Kroger Supermarket been anything like what is shown in this clip, I still would have left it behind for the career I have today. But at least it would have been more fun.

Now THERE'S a story even my son hasn't heard yet.

The rest of you can look for Ready, Set, Bag! at a theater near you beginning the sixth of August, the Feast of the Transfiguration.
.

No comments: