Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I’m (sorta) lovin’ it ...

We hear a lot about the nationwide obesity problem, with children not getting enough healthy food in their diets, not exercising enough, sitting around playing video games too much. Obviously you mommies and daddies out there are too busy scratching your way up the corporate ladder to notice what the hell your own kids are up to. Little Johnny could be the biggest crystal meth dealer on the block for all you know. In fact, I'll bet he's cooking up the next batch right now, in that chemistry lab you built for him in the basement. (Hey why not? I had a chem lab in the basement when I was a kid, right?)

But not to worry. First Lady Michelle Obama knows what's good for them, and she's on the case. Or at least Ronald MacDonald's case. And now comes the other shoe:

McDonald's on Tuesday said that it would add apple slices and reduce the portion of French fries in its children's meal boxes beginning this fall, effectively taking away consumers' current choice between either having apples with caramel dip or fries as a Happy Meal side.

The move by McDonald's, which has become a leader in moving from just burgers and fries to more nutritious fare like oatmeal and salads, comes as fast food chains face intense scrutiny from health officials ...


It doesn't bother me personally. I've had to cut down on fried foods anyway, which is one reason I went from weighing 230 pounds this time last year, to 205 as I weighed in this morning. Most of that is in the last few months. I just took my "thinner" clothes out of mothballs, and am getting ready to excess the "fat clothes" for good. I'm about halfway to my goal, which I expect to reach by year's end, in time for ... well, that can wait. Meanwhile, the pressure from government and various "public service" organizations to do all this, brought up a quotation at the combox for HotAir.com, this one from C S Lewis.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

The good news is, they refuse to get rid of the toys. At least something is still sacred in America.
 

No comments: