Thursday, November 07, 2002

"God, grant me the serenity...

...to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."


I was asked by a reader to translate the prayer posted last Saturday. "The Serenity Prayer" is very well known in the present day, and is attributed to the Protestant theologian Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971). What is less well known is the rest of the prayer:

"...living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; that I may be reasonably happy in this life, and supremely happy with Him forever in the next. Amen."

No comments: