Tuesday, December 31, 2002

The Seattle Chronicles: Day Eight

"Much have I travell'd in the realms of gold,
And many goodly states and kingdoms seen;
Round many western islands have I been..."


(John Keats)

Today was highlighted by a trip on the ferry, out of Elliot Bay and across Puget Sound, to Bainbridge Island. I had heard much about the place, and looked forward to the adventure. This was certainly a larger vessal than any I had seen on the Chesapeake Bay; I could swear these held twice as many vehicles and passengers.

They say the journey is the reward, and part of it was in this case. Seeing the faces of little children watching the water, and the gulls as they sailed along, was to see the experience through their eyes. Many of us sat on the lower deck, in the enclosed passenger area, and watched in comfort with the convenience of a cafeteria and coffee bar (and, for reasons beyond me, a few arcade games).

After a trip of about three-quarters of an hour, we arrived at the dock of Winslow, the main town on the Island. (See for yourself courtesy of the "Ferrycam.") I walked up the hill and along the main road into the town itself. If ever there were an island upon which I would want to be stranded, it would be this one. It had all I needed; a grocery store, a gas station, a bookstore, a very decent and good old-fashioned hardware store, a monthly contra dance, and a Catholic church. But more than that, they had a halfway decent little thrift store. I got a few presents for friends. There was a toddler watching me, and I couldn't resist. I pulled out my harmonica: "Hey, kid, wanna hear a tune?" I played a couple of Christmas selections, to the applause of his family and onlookers. Seeing that he wanted to dance, I ended with a rendition of "Oh Susanna."

After conversing with the owner of the sporting goods store about the local scene, I made my way back to the ferry, just in time to shove off for the trip home. I watched the city coming closer, and realized I was beginning to fall in love with my temporary home. I also realized I needed to get a few pictures of me and this backdrop, so I convinced a volunteer to oblige me with my camera.

Back on the mainland again, I couldn't resist yet another foray into the Public Market Square at the end of Pike Street. I found this great little place that sold Mexican crafts, which was guarded by a pit bull terrier, standing virtually motionless in his vigilance, with a sign on the door saying "Back in 5 minutes." When I returned, the store was open, and I found a pendant with the figure of Our Lady of Guadelupe, one of my favorite images of the Virgin Mary. I also found the dog in better spirits; indeed, a well-mannered and well-kept animal. He brought me his rag doll, as if wanting to play. So we amused the other patrons by my playing fetch with a trained killer. Just another day in paradise.

I spent the evening at home, catching up with the family, getting psyched up for the big event.

No comments: