Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Checking In

I was home for two weekdays, being a bit under the weather. I keep forgetting I'm getting old. That ever happen to you? All of a sudden you have to watch how much time you spend in the sun.

I never did tan very well. Except for that summer in 1975 when I worked with a road crew in Texas. Did I say "road crew"? Actually, I worked for Procter and Gamble, back before business mail got real cheap, when they had crews traveling the country putting samples of new soap products on people's door knobs. Got to see a lot of eastern Texas that way. (You know, there really is such a thing as "the other side of the tracks.") I lost a lot of weight. I got a great tan. I also got to be a blond.

But... I digress.

With the Fourth of July coming up, lots of DC people try to get the hell outa Dodge. Not like the riff-raff that populate the Mall that you see on public TV every year, listening to Kenny Rogers singing God Bless America or James Earl Jones reading the Declaration of Independence while the Boston Pops plays in the background (yawn!). You think maybe the Dixie Chicks have a shot at it this year?

Naaaaah. Maybe next year.

Anyhow, I'll probably head up to Baltimore for three or four days of dance party action. Come Saturday morning, I may take my kayak out toward the Blue Ridge and find a secluded place to baptize the craft. Meanwhile I bought an American flag at a thrift store for five bucks. My favorite, of course, has always been The Bennington Flag, which I have to replace this month.

No comments: