Thursday, September 09, 2004

Getting There From Here

"Sal" has been getting calls from work ever since the Labor Day weekend ended. All those jokers who said they had a domestic or caregiving assignment for her, then wouldn't return her calls for a follow-up, are coming out of the woodwork.

Welcome to America, hon.

Even people on the job take a mental vacation at their desks during August. Those who do leave for the beach or the mountains or wherever, make for a quieter subway ride in the morning. But now they're back, blocking the subway doors with their open newspapers and their expanding behinds, while the rest of us try to get in.

By the time I get to my desk, I realize that the summer was too short. Just like when I was a kid.

There haven't been many entries for MWBH of late. Not that I don't have an opinion about things. A couple of things are in the works, and a series a started but never finished this past summer, has to be started again, so I can finish it right. (Yeah, that one.) While I am grateful for the loyal readers I have, it seems to me that "the usual suspects" in the Catholic blogosphere tend to get more of the readership. That wouldn't surprise me so much, except that most of them say the same thing over and over. Am I correct in understanding that people go for that?

I've also been considering a move. Not only from my basement apartment to something I would actually own, but from Blogger to another weblog service. I haven't been able to archive properly for over a year (which is why everything is still on the same page, going back two and a half years), and lately new entries have been impossible to load without getting unexplainable error messages. On top of that, those clowns in tech support added a "navbar" to the top which blocks my title bar in some browsers. Guess who they expect to fix it? Guess how much help they are?

I will probably make a final decision by the end of the month.

Tonight, I attend another BSA Roundtable. In scouting, that's a monthly meeting of adult volunteers, combining a dog-and-pony-show-of-the-month with breakout sessions for the various programs. Next week I have my first Commissioner staff meeting, and shortly after that, my first Basic Commissioner Training class. There are some weekend camping events in the fall. I look forward to hitting the trail again.

I've also been thinking about Christmas vacation already. I will turn 50 on the 28th of December, which calls for something special. Right now, it's either southwestern Louisiana, or Seattle.

But we'll have lots to cover till then, as long as Blogger still lets me publish it. Stay tuned...

No comments: