Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Dear Mario: Thanks For Everything

Paul was playing video games when he was five years old. That makes me sound like a bad parent, which shows how much you know, genius!

In a world that was falling apart around him, a virtual one was there for the escaping. And there was just enough reality to provide him with an escape from the escape. While not an obsessive player like so many other beta males in their 20s, the medium has been a presence throughout his life. He was looking ahead. “Dad, I don't want to play games, I want to make them.”

Last year, I reached a turning point in my education, and the opportunity for a far more rewarding experience in the game design program at SCAD’s Atlanta campus presented itself. I had a choice, but it wasn’t easy: I could continue at the Art Institute - which I felt was a safe, but ultimately less ambitious option - or leave my friends, family, and the only home I’ve ever known, and go to Atlanta so I could study at SCAD. It was one of the hardest choices I’ve ever had to make.

In the end, I did what I thought Mario would do.

I jumped.

And so he did, and so it goes, at Bitmob.com.
.

No comments: