Monday, November 22, 2010

“I was only following orders.”

The continued disregard for the constitutional rights -- to say nothing of the human rights -- of air travelers, at the hands of Transportation Security Administration guards, is a developing story. There will be more on that in the next day or so. But I could not resist posting this tonight from Paul Mitchell via Matt Walker. A tip of the Black Hat to both of them.

+    +    +

I have a hard time feeling sorry for how "demoralized" the agents who carry out oppressive government policies against the public get.

Those Chinese soldiers in the tank at Tienanmen Square? No sympathy? The angst felt by East German soldiers as they shot defectors trying to cross the Berlin Wall? I couldn't care less. The sleepless nights suffered by the SS guards at Auschwitz? I can't say it bothers me.

So when Americans are willing to accept a paycheck to do a thoroughly un-American thing, no, I don't have a lot of sympathy. These guys are in a union; they should act like it! Go on strike until this ridiculous policy is rescinded.

Until then, in the words of Gilbert & Sullivan, "a policeman's lot is not a happy one."

+    +    +

... or, if anyone asks them, the guards can always avail themselves of the "Nuremburg defense." (See title, above.)
.

No comments: