Friday, July 16, 2004

A Midsummer Day's Dream

You know the saying; life is what happens when you make other plans. In my computer, my laptop, my PDA, my datebook -- are have notes or websites or other hen-scratchings, ideas and drafts for articles that should have made these pages by now.

But my son, just out of high school, has been getting used to the idea of being an adult, or at least functioning as one. He lives in a modest apartment with friends, taking up bed space in one corner of the "den" (We've all been there, right?) until he "gets it together," so to speak.

My car has been out of commission for the last two weeks, and while it's been relatively trouble-free over the three-plus years that I've had it, I was in two accidents within a few months of each other last fall (after a long hiatus of safety), and at 80K on the odometer, it's time to move on to something else. But first I have to wait for the insurance people to straighten things out.

Then there's my tax situation. Because matters in 2002 were a bit more complicated than usual, I have that and the previous year to (finally) settle to my Rich Uncle's satisfaction.

"Sal" was here earlier in the month, and we're trying to relocate her here. It's too early to get into the rest of that. Use your imagination.

After nearly fourteen years of living in basement apartments, I've been thinking maybe I should buy a house.

To top it all off, I'm switching antidepressant medications. This requires a period of adjustment.

But I keep up on all the stories that I've been covering. Some of you remember I was going to continue a series related to that Ave Maria thing entitled "How Then Shall We Live?" I'm still doing that. The next installment will be on economics, as reflected in the AMU curriculum, and as implemented in the vision for the campus and town. This is especially timely, given some local concerns, which are brought to my attention courtesy of the Cruxnews website. Your comments on the matter will be welcome in the interim, because we've got some ground to cover that is often new to so-called "conservatives" who assume good Catholics should always have to vote for a certain party -- if at all.

But do I complain? ME?? HAH!!! Fat chance!

This is the waning period, the necessary time in the desert, to find the oasis that contains the joys of life. This is the reason why the Epistles tell us to embrace our sufferings. That, and the other reasons. Meanwhile, I'm still gainfully employed. Even though I just found out I have to find another training vendor, and hurry to take advantage of this fiscal year's training funds, all because... oh, I don't wanna talk about it. Times like this are when I'm grateful to have earned the right to be called an "institution" in this agency. Is nearly twenty-four years long enough?

Finally, my sister Pat and her husband and stepson are going to be at the beach in Delaware starting this weekend. This means a ROAD TRIP for me and Paul. This time I'm the one riding shotgun. 'Bout time. Life with my son is a little more straightforward, now that I don't have to deal with his mother all that much; it's just me and him now. It's better that way.

And the days move forward; into the sunset, into the next season.

Enjoy the sun. Hit the beach. Or head for the mountains. And stay tuned...

No comments: