Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I left my Mardi Gras beads at home today....

...and I would have worn them on the bus, in the office, at the cafeteria, in that important meeting I attended this morning. Actually, I used to make more of the occasion. I'd put in a leave request for Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning for what I would mark down as "pre-Lenten religious observances." It usually involved driving to Baltimore and hanging out at some watering hole in Fells Point till one in the morning. That was about seven or eight years ago, when I was young and foolish.

I don't drive nearly as much as I used to. Not that I don't miss it, but there's too much to do here at home. They changed the weeknight Low Mass for Lent, from Friday night to Monday night. Friday is devoted to Stations of the Cross, and Wednesday's out, because that's the Eucharistic Holy Hour. We don't skimp on tradition at S J the B, nosiree!

We'll make an exception with this coming Wednesday evening. We all know why, don't we? "Remember, man, that thou art dust..."
.

2 comments:

Garret Girmus said...

David, this is a great post, in every respect.

Anonymous said...

Hey mate,
I got worried when i saw Mardi gras,for over here in Australia and up in Sydney-I am in melbourne capital of the State recently devasted by bushfires-Mardi gras is the gay mardi gras.