Monday, March 02, 2009

A League Of Her Own?

Sooner or later, every young man whose income is just short of stinking rich, has to face the awful truth. He is going to fall for a woman whom he discovers is -- and this is the part that hurts -- "out of his league." (It happened to me twice in my younger days, but that's another story...) It's not the rejection itself. It's not differences in values or goals in life. Sometimes it never has to come to any of that. It's when they're out on the town, and the young man discovers that he couldn't possibly keep the young lady in the grand style to which she has become accustomed.

Maybe that's why none of those young men are going to feel the least bit sorry for Almost-First Daughter Meghan McCain, whose father is Senator John McCain, that guy who ran for President last year:

The election killed my personal life... Somewhere in between college and the election, I started allowing politics to dictate the kind of men I date. And the worst part is, it’s not just Obama supporters who turn me off—it’s often my father’s... One extreme fan of my mother’s recently told me I could be “his Cindy.” And then asked me if I ever wore pearls because they probably would look as good on me as they do on my mother...

It gets worse. In reading her reflections on the campaign in The Daily Beast, it's obvious the only men she ever runs into, are no different than the one-dimensional stuffshirts that ran her father's campaign.

Meghan, dear, if you're reading this right now, somewhere out there is a gentleman who has made or is making his own fortune in life. He doesn't need your family's money, he doesn't care how many houses they own, and he doesn't forge relationships on the basis of what that person can do for him. He values... well, values, over political ideology. And inasmuch as he doesn't need your family name or notoriety, he would be more likely to accept you as you are. This means you probably won't meet him in Washington.

There are only two questions to ask yourself: Would you recognize such a man if you met him? And would he recognize you?

Welcome to life with the rest of us. Or should I say, the same league?

(PHOTO: Robyn Beck, Agence France-Presse. Used without permission or shame.)
.

No comments: