Tuesday, February 08, 2011

“Once an Eagle ...”

On this date in 1910, the Boy Scouts of America was incorporated in Washington, DC.

Some scouts and scouters on Facebook are replacing their profile pictures with the highest rank they earned as youth members. Personally, I'm too lazy to replace my photo, even temporarily, so my highest rank is shown here. Out of every one hundred boys who enter the Boy Scout program, only three will earn the distinction of being an Eagle Scout. I passed my Board of Review in December of 1971, and was bestowed the award the following February. My only regret is that my unit was going to hell in a handbasket, which cut my post-Eagle adventures in Scouting a bit short -- well, there was the matter of getting a job and finishing high school, but enough of that already -- until July of 2004, when I put the uniform back on again.

And so it goes ...
 

No comments: