Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Still waiting, still not holding my breath ...

... for responses to the piece entitled “Married But Not With Each Other: A Call For Entries” from last week. I did get one response, from a very well-known Catholic blogger, via Facebook, that was particularly unkind. When I inquired whether they were sure of what they meant, they offered a profuse apology, which is to their credit. (I only mention this because it was the closest thing to a response so far, not to embarrass them.)

Most Catholics who go through a divorce, if they do remarry, end up doing so outside the Church, which is one factor that mitigates the "too many annulments" canard. I don't imagine this is solely because they wake up one morning and decide they don't believe what the Church teaches. I believe it's because they simply do not know how else to move on. "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a suitable partner for him." (Gen 2:18) It is against our nature to be any other way. While this does not necessarily end in marriage -- priests have a nuptial relationship to the Church, while women in Religious life have the same with Christ Himself -- there is a gap that longs to be filled. Some handle this better than others, apparently.

So, we're keeping the lines open until someone gets up the nerve.
 

No comments: