Tuesday, July 23, 2002

The Rocky Road to Steubenville

Both Mr Popcak and Ms Stimpson take issue with my observations about Charismatics, speaking in tongues at Steubenville, and all that. Both contain some very valid observations, and I am grateful for them. Yes, it is unfair to suggest that the failings of one priest (or even two) should condemn an entire movement. Both of them were off the mark on a few points, however. Greg, I stand behind my observations of Catholicism as a cognitive experience. Although I will concede that the will must precede the intellect. And Emily, one Latin Mass a month is the same now as about ten years ago. I do manage to follow the discussion, both through the independent magazine University Concourse, and with friends from Steubenville (if I still have any left).

I've had some experience with people who claim certain "gifts." The ones I admired most were the ones who didn't wear it on their sleeve. I've also known of devotees of the Latin Mass who were quite dedicated to the Charismatic movement. My only point concerned the potential for danger with forces not completely within our control. Beyond that, I prefer not to squabble with those, with whom I have more to share than not.

So, Miss Emily, have your people call my people, and I'll keep those checks coming.

(By the way, Mr Popcak, I have played guitar since I was 11, and am not above accompanying the liturgy with the instrument. I tend to lean more toward traditional hymns, though, and Gregorian chant settings for the Ordinary.)

No comments: