Thursday, July 25, 2002

I should have taken another day off!

Saints preserve us! The bloodletting isn't over yet.

One of my learned colleagues at St Blog's accuses me of being "without a clue" concerning the charismatic movement. He then proceeds to draw rather narrow conclusions (at least to my mind) as to what constitutes being "joyful" in Catholic worship. Gregorian chant can be joyful, in the true Catholic sense.

There is a story I will tell eventually, of how the "gifts of the Spirit" saved my own life. There is also a quotation from Irenaeus that I shall pull out of my library eventually, that came to mind in the course of this exchange. If that isn't enough, I will be happy to tell of all the fine Catholic folks I have met in recent years, who claimed to hear voices and see visions (one of whom continues to harass me by private e-mail). I can also tell of those who made money off of them. Other than that, I have said all that I am going to on the subject for now.

To those who watch this exchange, I have the highest opinion of everyone who has taken issue with me on this matter. They are fine people who have inspired me to take up this medium that you read now. They are good to remind me that occasionally I may be mistaken on any given topic. Over the course of this exchange, I have already admitted as much.

By the way, Miss Emily, I got that call from development office at your alma mater. I may have some redeeming qualities after all. Ahem!!!

No comments: