Friday, July 26, 2002

Better Living Through Chemistry

As one of 20 million Americans who suffers from some form of depression, I read with some interest the discovery by Mr Popcak, of a University of Connecticut study which shows that "the class of mood enhancing drugs called selective-seratonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) that include prozac may not actually do any more than taking a placebo."

Well, Greg, I tried Prozac for three weeks. I'm willing to bet a sizable amount of money, that a placebo wouldn't give me the jitters, as if I drank ten cups of coffee a day.

I'm not prepared to state that medication is the answer for everybody. But for those of us (I'd say... oh, roughly twenty percent) who put off such solutions for years while we tried damn near everything else, there is hope through modern medicine.

No comments: