Thursday, August 07, 2003

West By Northwest: Day Seven

Yesterday marked Paul's "professional debut" as a street performer. I stayed at the Market for awhile, took a few pictures, and made a few suggestions about stage presence. Then I stopped doing the Mother Hen Thing and started doing the Dad Thing. In other words, I left him the hell alone.

He came home with ten dollars. Not bad for a first day.

So today, with new confidence, he went into town by himself. Another ten dollars. And an insight: "Dad, all the guys who are doing well have these pet animals. You know, like, the guy with the parrot, the trained cat, the guitar guy with the possum. How am I gonna compete with that?" Good question. I can see it now: Blind Melon Paul, legendary underaged bluesman, featuring Fluffy, his pet boa constrictor.

It could happen.

No comments: