Thursday, October 20, 2005

Is the book half-open or half-closed?

From time to time, Amy Welborn of Open Book closes her posts to comments. There are times when I don't blame her; you get enough responses, and a few of them get a little over the top, and next thing you know, the whole shootin' match takes on a life of its own. (You wanna get people revved up, talk about the Latin Mass, and watch all hell break loose.)

But let's face it, boys and girls. With an established reputation as a Catholic author, and a familiar face to anyone who watched the 24/7 news channels when we were between popes (and she's probably still smarting from that encounter with Pat Buchanan, but I think she held up very well), what Ms Welborn must endure is what some of us dare to call "the price of fame." In fact, you can't read an article about "Catholic weblogs" without her name being dropped.

That's right, kiddo, you're a celebrity. It comes with the byline and the weekly royalty checks. Hopefully, you can still go to the supermarket without being stopped for autographs -- in which case, you're one of the lucky ones.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a modest cult following. Yesterday's Blogospheric Smack-Down was really kind of fun. So I'll tell you what I'm gonna do, and I don't do this for just anybody. Anytime you don't feel like beating them off with a stick, send them over to my neck of the woods. Especially if I'm dealing with one of the usual "hot button" issues.

Anything I can do to help.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was the encounter with Pat Buchanan?

Anonymous said...

David,

I am frantically trying to finish writing a book that was actually due three weeks ago, all this with two little children to take care of.

Pardon me for closing down contentious comments for a week.

David L Alexander said...

Amy:

I'm obviously aware of all that. It was just a tongue-in-cheek way of suggesting a "spreading of the wealth," as it were. I can't say I blame you for closing down your comments box at times.

Come to think of it, I didn't blame you, now, did I?

Good luck with that book. And stay in touch.

Mr. Nixter said...

Imagine having hordes of people actually reading and listening to everything you write and say! Imagine if they commented favorably to same!

As goes one's reaction to the lyrics to a song by John Lennon with the same name, such a concept may be just a little too "pie-in-the-sky" for today's world.

David L Alexander said...

Jack, at this part I'd settle for the hordes of people.

Mr. Nixter said...

Appropriate comment: AMEN.