Sunday, October 30, 2005

Time

Time has come today
Young hearts can go their way
Can't put it off another day
I don't care what others say
They say we don't listen anyway
Time has come today...


Did you remember to set your clocks all back an hour? I did.

Not that I got diddley out of it, though. This past weekend was not a good one for the local zydeco universe. If that wasn't enough, Sal was on a home care assignment. Some lame excuse about getting overpaid, and in advance. I failed to come up with a counter offer. So, after midnight, I fell asleep watching television.

But before that happened, I managed to spend the whole day getting a house in order -- still. I'm finding new uses for surplus furniture from the storage room, especially the means of holding my nearly one thousand audio and video recordings throughout the house, and ten years of back issues of both Acoustic Guitar and Catholic World Report magazines. Plus I've always wanted a piano in my sala,* so Paul is looking forward to when the Yamaha electronic keyboard is plugged in and wired to the PC.

The rules have changed today
I have no place to stay
I'm thinking about the subway
My love has flown away
My tears have come and gone
Oh my Lord, I have to roam
I have no home...


Speaking of changing the rules, Congress is extending the time of year for daylight saving time (that's "saving," not "savings," as the official parlance) beginning in 2007, and ending when the Department of Energy is done studying what they probably already know anyway. (Anyone remember when in the 1970s they made Daylight Time a year-round standard? The first person to answer gets a holy card. Don't all jump up at once...)

Now the time has come
There's no place to run
I might get burned up by the sun
But I had my fun
I've been loved and put aside
I've been crushed by the tumbling tide
And my soul has been psychedelicized...


But before your soul goes anywhere, check out the history of daylight time by clicking HERE, going back to (believe it or not!) Benjamin Franklin. Meanwhile, we're taking comments from Indiana residents who can tell us how they cope with the discrepancies in time zone practices in their state. And a tip of the Black Hat to The Chambers Brothers, for today's lyrics.

* The Spanish word for a "living room," and a term common to the Philippines. The French word would be "salon." ¿Comprendez?

2 comments:

Mr. Nixter said...

Let's not forget the end of that great tune...

Oh
Now the time has come (Time)
There's no place to run (Time)
I might get burned up by the sun (Time)
But I had my fun (Time)
I've been loved and put aside (Time)
I've been crushed by tumbling tide (Time)
And my soul has been psychedelicized (Time)

(Time)
Now the time has come (Time)
There are things to realize (Time)
Time has come today (Time)
Time has come today (Time)

Time [x4]
Yeah

(Posted this while I was sitting in my suede boots, fringed vest and tie-dyed shirt, man!)

David L Alexander said...

Nothing like a man with a song in his heart.