Friday, February 09, 2007

Long Distance from Manila

I was getting ready to leave the house this morning when "Sal" called from a hotel in the heart of Metro Manila. She returned to the Philippines after nearly five years absent. She hadn't gotten any sleep in over 24 hours, what with her three (drop-dead gorgeous) daughters falling over her, and greeting throngs of well-wishers from all corners of the City. Even as she called, she was getting a manicure. I ask you, when does a busy girl get any rest?

I took her to the airport early on Wednesday morning. When she called me this morning, it was already this evening, as they're exactly thirteen hours ahead of the eastern USA. She will be gone for five weeks, not a day longer. That's what she told me anyway, and it's the least she could do after I got her that matching set of luggage for Christmas.

I have to admit, I'm going to miss her while she's gone. I don't suppose anyone can blame me.

February 2004

1 comment:

Dad29 said...

Umnnnh...

Just like my wife, "Sal" could do better, no?