Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Greetings From Hyattsville

I was on the phone with an old friend who is contemplating a move to the DC area. Like me, she's Catholic, but when it comes to her Sunday worship, she has even less patience with liturgical novelty than I do. (It can happen.) So, given a choice, she would probably live on the Virginia side of the Potomac, rather than in DC or Maryland. That being the case, I told her of a possible exception to the rule. Before I bought my house, I had thought of moving to a certain part of Maryland, developed at a time when "suburbs" were still zoned for mixed-use, and which was in the beginnings of a re-gentrification.

Seems I wasn't alone in considering that option.

To some, the phrase "Catholic Community" conjures up images of exclusive ghettos -- areas of faith-filled Catholics who live close together and are so different from the world outside that they fail to engage it in any meaningful way. At the other extreme is contemporary Catholic life, where churchgoers attend the parish of their choice (which may or may not be their neighborhood parish), rarely see their fellow Catholics outside of the Mass, and do not so much influence the culture as merge into it.

Enter Chris Currie, who seems to have found a third way...

.

No comments: