Friday, October 31, 2008

When Paul was little, he did not like 80’s music. I should have followed it more closely back then, really. That must have been the first time I started feeling my age, if you don't count when I got out of high school and my friends getting married before I did. I was newly married in '82. There were so many new artists to keep track of. Wait, I can explain! I was caught off guard by the sudden burst of real musicians who actually played their instruments and wrote their own material. I had already learned to ignore popular music in the 70s, in the hopes that disco, and the polyester train it rode in on, would just go away. Bad suits, bad haircuts -- I'm telling you, it was a nightmare.

Of course, now that he's older and wiser, Paul loves 80’s music. Once when I was going through some old magazines, he snatched up a 1987 copy of Rolling Stone that had The Bangles on the cover, and a great piece inside on Los Lobos. That had to be the reason I bought it; it sure wasn't for the article on Hüsker Dü. (I had no idea Paul was so into girl bands. Really.) But there's a trade-off; Sal is just crazy about 70’s music. So for me, there really is no escape. Anyway, this week seems to call for more than one Friday Afternoon Moment of Whimsy, especially if you're getting as sick of some of this political coverage as I am. So, through the magic of YouTube, we present two "literalist remix" versions of hits from the decade that made the 70’s go away.

Well, for most of us.

(h/t to Allahpundit of Hot Air)
.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

My husband and I enjoyed watching these videos this morning....thanks! (From a big Tears for Fears fan)