Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Giving Thanks

Earlier this week, the President performed his annual duty (in the case of the current incumbent, for the first time) of issuing a proclamation that the fourth Thursday of November be a national day of thanksgiving. Then he pardons one turkey, and eats the other one. A lot is written about the origins of this feast, some versions more credible than others. In Canada, they have theirs on the second Monday in October, the day when we in the States observe Columbus Day, to give thanks for the harvest. Not a bad idea no matter who invented it.

Tonight will be the worst time all year to try and leave Washington, whether by land, air, or sea. As husband and father to a young family -- I like to call it "my former life" -- we learned that lesson the hard way in the mid-1980s. Closer to the present (and a bit wiser, one would hope), Sal has two brothers in the area, and we usually visit one of their families on Thanksgiving. Sometimes my son Paul joins us for a few hours, but he seems to have plans of his own. I suppose that's not unusual for a young man in his mid-twenties.

After being in the Philippines for more than two months, Sal is still unpacking, and otherwise making the adjustment to life in the States again. It would be nice to have a day where we could just relax. Meanwhile, I know that most of you are already making plans. I'm including an old favorite here (for the third time by my count), a "five-minute antipasto platter" in case your Aunt Minnie and Uncle Buck decide to surprise you with a visit.

As the Christmas season approaches, we'll be scoping out the internet for some other ideas to bring the Suzy Homemaker out in you. Until then, remember, "antipasto is your friend!"

Bon appetit.
.

1 comment:

VD said...

Hey, Jean-Therese again.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Sal! Just wondering -- do you celebrate Thanksgiving with your extended family (especially on Sal's side)? Because it seems that Thanksgiving as a holiday is nonexistent in Philippine culture as far as I know.

But I'm just asking -- cultural inquisitiveness, I guess.
You can reply back at my usual email.