Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Drop Kick Me, Jesus

The local ABC affiliate in Cincinnati caught this last night. There was this giant statue north of Cincinnati, an upper-torso figure of Christ with His arms upraised. Apparently it got struck by lightning, and all that's left now is the frame. I'll bet most people going by I-75 had no idea it was made of styrofoam. That thing was a goner in minutes. There's nothing left this morning but something that looks like goal posts. Speaking of which ...

It was called “Touchdown Jesus” by the neighbors, and that brings to mind a tune by Bobby Bare. I'll leave the explaining to him. “Drop kick me, Jesus, through the goal posts of life / End over end, neither left nor the right / Straight through the heart of them righteous uprights / Drop kick me, Jesus, through the goal posts of life.”

Can I get an “Amen?”

UPDATE: Rock Solid Church, where the statue was situated, plans to rebuild it. A unnamed Cincinnati blogger wonders if they'll do it in three days. We'll keep you posted.
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for lightning!