Monday, March 10, 2003

Interlude

It seems that the dancing didn't stop with the end of Mardi Gras. One night at Taliano's, I got to speak one-on-one with zydeco musician Roy Carrier about the prospects of being an occasional sideman. Seems he remembered well the job I did when I sat in with him and his son, Troy "Dikki Du" Carrier, last fall. I notice that most of the good guitarists with these bands don't just do straight barre chord rythym, but branch off into different chord progressions in position, as well as occasional lead pattern breaks, just to add a little light and shade to their end of the spectrum. It's a skill well worth learning, and I pick up a few things just watching these guys.

Last Saturday night, a woman told me of a silent auction at her church, where one of the prizes was a private zydeco dance lesson. Well, one couple won the prize, and then her male partner backed out. My response? "Well, I can see your problem here. You didn't ask ME!" We exchanged information. It's just this one time, but I sure do miss teaching, especially since my former partner, especially with the lovely and talented Bonita.

While this post is being written, and random thoughts spew forth, I have two or three essays in the works, which I hope will see the light of the internet some time soon. Meanwhile, I'm helping my son with his Algebra tutoring, using the ultimate in visual aids. With any luck, we can prepare for his SAT tests in the same way.

I'm back in the office tomorrow, hopefully with more previously unpublished thoughts. Stay tuned...

No comments: