Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Parting

I lost a friend today. Some things were said in a phone conversation that were completely misinterpreted. They have refused to discuss it with me, and have asked me not to contact them. As they ran off the list of attributes they wished to avoid in their friendships, I realized they were being assigned to me. If I am to be judged so harsely on the basis of one incident, then I never had a friend to begin with. Fortunately, I don't run into them that much anyway. This person claims to be a devout Christian, and wishes "His peace" for me. Am I to find that peace reflected in others, or is that just some pious platitude employed to justify oneself?

For a few hours, it takes the wind out of me. I have had a similar incident not long ago. There is a part of me that wants to crawl into a hole and never come out. When I remember how Christ lost so many of His friends, I realize I must join my sorrow with Him on the cross. There is nowhere else to take it. I have plenty of work to do today. But it is a sad day for me.

There is a light dusting of snow falling on the ground in the Nation's capital. I want to run away. Instead I will turn to the routine of everyday life, and wait for spring, and the prospect of new life.

No comments: