Friday, June 13, 2003

Oh, and speaking of the 13th (and Italians)...

"Johnny, Johnny, look around, something's lost and can't be found. Saint Anthony please help me find my lost..."

Today is the feast of Saint Anthony of Padua (1191-1231), Franciscan friar and "Doctor of the Church." He is a favorite saint of sons and daughters of Italy around the world. He is also a favorite image of flower gardens, where he is depicted holding the child Jesus, a lily, a book, and (if he has a free hand left over) a loaf of bread. Anthony's name is invoked concerning the following: against shipwrecks, against starvation, against starving, American Indians, amputees, animals, asses, barrenness, boatmen, Brazil, domestic animals, elderly people, expectant mothers, faith in the Blessed Sacrament, fishermen, harvests, horses, Lisbon, lost articles (see above), lower animals, mail, mariners, oppressed people, Padua, Italy, paupers, poor people, Portugal, pregnant women, sailors, seekers of lost articles (see above), shipwrecks, starvation, starving people, sterility, swineherds, Tigua Indians, travel hostesses, travellers, and (inhale!) watermen.

Tomorrow, my parents commemorate their 51st wedding anniversary. I hesitate to say "celebrate," since they're probably still worn out from the shindig we threw for the 50th. But still, I'll give them a call. Unless it's between 4 and 5 this afternoon, because that's when Doctor Phil is on, and I'm not allowed to break The Old Man's concentration.

Of course, the 16th is Father's Day. My son will honor the occasion, by acting like a good family provider at his part-time job in the afternoon, followed by meeting me for dinner in the evening.

By that time, I will have had my own celebration at (what else?) a zydeco dance in southern Maryland. One does what one can with what one has (sigh!).

No comments: