Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Two Big Days (for the Price of One)

Today, Christians around the world, especially Catholics, anticipate the beginning of the Lenten season with Shrove Tuesday (the origin of which can be found here), also known in French as "Mardi Gras," or "Fat Tuesday." In New Orleans, and in smaller cities throughout Louisiana, the festivities began on the weekend. (The latter, especially in the southwestern part of the state, tend to be more family-oriented affairs, as opposed to the decadent celebrations in the Big Easy.) In South America, major cities have been reveling in "Carnival" for several days now. I used to take Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning off, for what I listed as "pre-Lenten religious observances." It hasn't been as convenient these days. C'est la vie.

Here in the USA, today is also "Super Tuesday," where in roughly half the states of the union, the political parties choose delegates for the various candidates for the Presidency. Virginia is not one of them, or I'd be putting my vote in for the lesser of several evils, which would be Ron Paul. Don't sound so surprised. It's only because Fred Thompson dropped out, and besides, I voted for third-party candidates in 2000 and 2004 anyway. That's what I do when the other two guys are too much alike.

I forgot to wear beads today, so my Director gave me some of his. I have a whole box of them back home, though, including some with flashing lights. It would have created quite a stir in class, eh?



Meanwhile, let's watch James Carville and Bill Frist, two of the more animated Beltway boys, try to get along in this ad that ran during the Super Bowl.
.

No comments: