Loose Lips in the Loggia (Ember Week Edition)
The week of Ember Days near the end of the Easter season has traditionally been devoted to the ordination of deacons and priests. Many of us have seen young men bestowed with Holy Orders of late. It is then that they learn their first assignments; indeed, that other priests and deacons learn of any re-assignments.
Meanwhile, here's what's bouncing around the bandwidth of believers lately:
• The gospel passages in recent weeks have told of Our Lord leaving his disciples, and of the coming of the Holy Spirit as “the Paraclete.” You only think you know what is meant by the Greek word paraclesis. [The High Calling]
• Well, there he goes again. Pope Francis said that "rigid traditionalists and cafeteria Catholics" aren't really Catholics ... [Seasons of Grace]
• … or did he? [The Crescat]
• Religion journalist Abby Carr reveals something that at least one Christian teen could have told her forty years ago, that youth groups actually drive Christian teens to abandon their faith. [CharismaNews]
• The Psalmist wrote that “He who sits in the heavens laughs.” (2:4) And there's a reason. [Te Deum laudamus!]
• Illinois Supreme Court Justice Anne Burke once headed an advisory board to the bishops' conference on the priest child-sex-abuse scandal, and once accused the Archbishop of Chicago of being “disingenuous” about what he knew about the crisis. And speaking of disingenuous ... [Chicago Sun-Times]
• Finally, a conference held recently devoted a great deal of discussion to the prospect of women as deacons. Unfortunately, the panel of experts did not include someone who has studied the subject in some detail WITHOUT preconceived notions. Prepare to be enlightened. [man with black hat]
Well, that's our story and we're stickin' to it. Remember to attend Holy Mass this Sunday. Until the next weekly chattel of church chat, stay tuned, and stay in touch.