Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Red Moon Rising

There was a lunar eclipse last night. This occurs when the Sun, Earth and Moon are in a near-perfect line in space. The effect is that of a dim reddish-brown Moon climbing slowly above the horizon. While it was most visible in the British Isles, it could also be seen here on the Mid-Altantic Coast of the USA.

There are those who say that a lunar eclipse is a sign of warning:

"Then I watched while he broke open the sixth seal, and there was a great earthquake; the sun turned as black as dark sackcloth, and the whole moon became like blood." (Revelation 6:12)

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but this is going to be one of those years when life turns a big corner.

My son graduates from high school. His mother heads off into the sunset (in other words, Cleveland), with her new husband, leaving our son without a place to stay beginning in July. And for my own part, after nearly fourteen years of living in a series of studio and basement apartments, it is high time to move above ground, and to return to owning a home again.

I swore I'd never return to the suburbs, but Paul insists he'd like to stay in the area just west of the Beltway. I hope he likes living out of his car, because until I get set up, he may have to do that to get his wish.

As to my own wishes, my next home will be a two- or three-bedroom townhouse -- with a basement in the case of the former -- to be located not far from where I am now, close to public transportation, and within walking distance of shopping. If I'm lucky, I'll have an end unit with a fireplace. And if there's a basement, it will be a walk-out.

It's a lot to handle all at once, on top of straightening out my taxes for the last year, or two. The way I work things, I handle one crisis at a time, and move on to the next. Unless it's done on a computer, I'm not too good at multi-tasking.

All this in pursuit of the simple life. For me, a home is a sanctuary, a place to retreat and escape from the world. It is a place large enough to incorporate all my interests, yet small enough to care for on my own. I don't need a big yard, just a private haven in which to rest, to entertain a few friends, and maybe grow a kitchen garden.

All this in pursuit of the simple life. Stay tuned...

THIS JUST IN: Cinco de Mayo!!

Like Dom Jim says, in "El Norte," the Fifth of May is mainly an excuse to drink Coronas. They don't make nearly as big a deal of it in Mexico. Aside from that, the good Padre's inner monarchist gives us a unique spin on the tale.

No comments: