Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Coming Attractions

I've already finished one site for my web design class. Another assignment is now in the works. The subject is a city, one not normally a tourist attraction, that deals with a non-tourist aspect of that city. Needless to say, I chose the one where I came from. Meanwhile, I'll be putting up a "portfolio" page on the server tonight, that will link to past and present assignments:

http://stu.aii.edu/~dla312/index.htm

The new site will be entitled:

Shall we gather at the river?
An anti-tourist's view of Cincinnati, Ohio


I'll talk about how the city got its name, the river that runs through it (or around it, I should say), that deal about which hills are the "seven hills," the role of pigs in the city's history, the story of the "floating soap," how the city was a hotbed for radio and television creativity, and finally, a unique once-a-year "slice of life."

What will not be included is the story of Cincinnati's chili parlors, since Cincinnati is famous for its special chili. An online search discloses at least two dozen distinct recipes, most of which include a dash of chocolate and cinnamon (yep, that's right!). But alas, this would probably qualify as a tourist attraction (at least it is for me), and I'd be tempted to publish my mother's recipe, which currently is not online. It's my personal favorite, though. Thanks, Mom.

I've found some of the material for this site online over the years. Now I've got to go back and try to find it all again. The chapter on local television has been touched upon here at MWBH before, and that should be interesting. Naming a source for some subjects is sometimes hard, since I've heard some of these stories since I was a kid.

But at least for all the work I put into this stuff, I find it to be a gratifying experience -- not just from a personal standpoint, but with the satisfaction of knowing my career is getting a new lease on life, at mid-life.

And that doesn't happen to everybody, does it?

No comments: