Friday, July 27, 2007

Friday Footnote

I walked into the office today, to learn that the air conditioning unit in our office wing had broken down. With the temperature outside climbing into the 90s, and a hypertensive condition, I had to be concerned. So I got permission to work at home for the short term, where I can report that the air is just fine. The Feds have been promoting teleworking pretty aggressively. It comes in handy for those who commute from as far as two hours away, in places like the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia. (Anything for a big enough house, I guess.) But since I'm only six miles from the office, that's a tough sell. So it comes down to circumstances like these.

Meanwhile, this page has lately been missing one of its regular features, the Friday Afternoon Moment of Whimsy. In light of enduring the above -- which I have offered up for the Poor Souls, by the way -- being whimsical was nonetheless a challenge. I'm researching some material, and looking for old photographs, in the hope that you'll have something to look at besides that tiresome face on the right sidebar.

Things may be a bit light in the next month, since even guys in Black Hats have to take a vacation. (Ohio. Is there anywhere else?) But there will be just enough to let you know you haven't been forgotten. I've had the opportunity of late to discover that there are, indeed, people I've never met who read this. I'll go to a lecture, or some other event, and strike up a conversation with someone who already knows who I am. It's a great feeling, but also humbling. It is a great responsibility, when I consider that those who come to this site, expect a certain quality of writing. I hope I never give them reason for disappointment.

We'll still leave the light on for ya. Stay tuned, and stay in touch.
.

No comments: